24 July 2011

RIP AMY WINEHOUSE


As many of you will already know by now, Amy Winehouse sadly died yesterday in her Camden flat. The news came as a shock to me, and if I'm honest I still have not come to terms with her death. I always knew this day would come, but I did not expect that day to be yesterday, while I was at a friend's party surrounded by celebration.

It is not yet known how Amy died, and although suspicion of drugs is inevitable after Amy's very public problems with addiction, to presume that her addiction was fatal is not right. Right now the world, in my opinion, should respect Amy Winehouse as a performer, a singer, a musician and one of the most talented songwriters of our generation. Frank and Back To Black are seminal albums, and it is through these phenomenal albums that Amy should be remembered. Her soulful voice will now become haunting, putting her alongside other tragic musicians who died at 27, such as Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison.

Amy Winehouse made an invaluable contribution to both music and fashion, and I am deeply saddened that such a talent has been lost so early in her life and career.  

She was just a girl with a voice and problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate the time you take to read and comment!